Monday 12 March 2012

Smoked haddock and taleggio tartlet

This recipe is inspired by watching "Entertaining with James" on the Good Food Channel. When I watched it I thought: that is going on the menu. With my almost complete collection of James's book I assumed I would have the recipe somewhere. After looking through them all and searching on the internet I realised I had to go with my memory & instinct as I couldn't find it anywhere. So here is my version of the dish.

Ingredients for 2 people

batch of shortcrust pastry
2 or 3 large salad or charlotte potatoes, parboiled
200 gr of natural smoked haddock
2 eggs
100 ml double cream
50 ml milk
100 gr taleggio or emmenthal cheese grated
chives
salt & pepper

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4
Place the smoked haddock in a pan with the cream & milk and bring to the boil. Switch of the heat and let the fish cool down in the mixture. This should cook it just enough. Once cool take it of the skin and flake into chunks. Make sure you keep the milk/cream mixture.
Grease 1 large or 2 small pastry cases. Roll out the pastry and place into the dish(es). Make a cartouche with some baking paper and place this on the pastry, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and baking beans and bake for another 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and turn the oven down to 160C, gas 3.
Slice the parboiled potatoes and chop the chives.
Put half of the grated cheese in the pastry case(s), put a layer of potatoes on top of this and then the flaked smoked haddock over that.
Slightly beat the eggs and mix with the milk & cream, season and pour over the top filling the pastry cases.
Sprinkle with the chives and the rest of the cheese and place in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until set  depending on whether you make 2 small or 1 large tartlet.
Turn the tartlet out on a plate and serve with a lightly dressed salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment