Saturday 14 April 2012

Hasse's meatballs

One of the things I like best about food is sharing it. Either directly: cooking for, or eating with friends and family or indirectly by sharing recipes.
I am very lucky that I have several friends who feel the same and happily will share their favourite recipes with me. This one is another one given to me by my friend Judith, who in turn got it from her Swedish friend Hasse.

We have had this several times and it is always greeted with smiles. Give it go and I hope you will enjoy it too.

Serves 4

Ingredients for the meatballs:

50 gr of breadcrumbs
200 ml of double cream
1 red onion, finely chopped
300 gr best minced beef
100 gr minced pork
1 egg
½ tsp salt
2 pinches of freshly ground black pepper
Butter or oil for frying

Ingredients for the sauce:

1 tbsp concentrated veal stock
200 ml milk
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt & pepper to taste.



Preparation:

Let the breadcrumbs swell in the cream and then add the other ingredients for the meatballs. Mix well.
With wet hands form small meatballs (about the size of a golf ball) and put aside on a board or some greaseproof paper.
Fry the meatballs in batches in the butter/oil (keep warm in a low oven until all have been fried and the sauce made)
Using the same pan used for frying the meatballs & keeping the residues of meat etc, as this will enhance the flavours of the sauce, add the flour & cook this out for a bit, then mix in veal stock, milk & soy, season. Bring to the boil & whisk the sauce for about 3 minutes.
Serve the meatballs with the sauce, some vegetables, buttered new potatoes and lingonberry jam (optional, available from Ikea)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds great. I love meatballs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice! I hope you will enjoy them as much as we always do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like the ikea ones which I love, have never made them with double cream before but will now. Yum! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think Susan...we love them!

      Delete